Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Current Favorites

Listening to:

Joe Lovano Ensemble, Streams of Expression. Another superb effort by saxophonist Lovano. Check out his recently released DVD, too--Joe Lovano Nonet Live in Paris.

Dusty Springfield, Gold. Everything I've tried in the 2-CD Gold series has been first-rate, but limited to Sublime and Southern Rock entries.

Various Artists, The Who Jukebox. This is the free CD included with the current issue of MOJO magazine. Starts with familiar Motown tracks and ends with the Stanley Brothers, finding room in between for Ian Dury, Jimmy Reed, Leadbelly, and more. The magazine itself is worth picking up for my main man Dave Marsh's cover story on Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey.

Diana Krall, Christmas Songs. A very engaging holiday collection from last fall. I'll swear it's the one Krall CD to get, since I really don't want to listen to the others (yet).

Acute, Selections (EP). I remain undecided about this one. It was sent to me to review for a music website... I'll keep you posted.

Reading:

Stephen King, Bag of Bones.
John Irving, A Widow for One Year.
Joe Hill, Heart-Shaped Box (advance copy of 2007's must read novel!)
Paul Talbot, Bronson's Loose! The Making of the Death Wish Films

Movies/DVDs:

Dion Live (I see that just about everyone has forgotten about Dion's great 2006 release Bronx in Blue on their best of the year lists--assholes!)
Death Wish 4: The Crackdown

No comments: